Quality Engineer, Nondestructive Testing
Location: East Hartford, Connecticut US
Job Number: 9908
Businesses Pratt & Whitney Job ID 01336595 Date posted 07/23/2019 City East Hartford State Connecticut Country United States
United States of America
PW100: East Hartford 400 Main Street, East Hartford, CT, 06118 USA
Pratt & Whitney is a world leader in the design, manufacture and service of aircraft engines, industrial gas turbines and space propulsion systems. The company's 36,000 employees support more than 11,000 customers in 195 countries around the world.
The Hot Section Module Center South is a fast-paced, high-volume organization that delivers a complex and technically superior product. As the Center of Excellence for Turbine Airfoils, Hot Section Module Center South has a very strong but challenging future. We are focused on implementing cutting edge manufacturing technology to produce the latest in Turbine Airfoil designs for new engine programs like Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) and Next Generation Part Family (NGPF) while continuing to retain competitive advantage. The organization needs to ensure material is delivered on-time, with flawless quality and at cost as demand increases to unprecedented amounts.
Quality Engineers (QE) are integral to the continued success of the mod center as the leaders of problem resolution teams related to part manufacture in the value stream, the drivers of process improvement and educators of technical requirements. They also act as liaisons between the mod center, program office and internal customer when discussing quality concerns.
In this position, your primary role will be to support the shop floor and to review procedures, specifications, work instructions and equipment to ensure compliance to Quality Management Systems. Further, this position will also require technical experience with Nondestructive Testing (NDT) processes such as X-ray and FPI.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Review NDT findings and perform recommendations for product acceptance
- Develop and maintain NDT technique sheets and standard work
- Support training and certification of new NDT inspectors
- Reduce customer escapes by identifying non-conformance drivers and implementing mistake proof solutions
- Work closely with Manufacturing Engineering to improve part quality signature
- Drive scrap, rework and repair dollars to the lowest achievable levels by participation in process monitoring and improvement projects
- Comply with FAA, and DCMA standards, applicable laws, and company policies
- Provide strategic leadership in the development and implementation of project quality plans to obtain annual reduction goals in Scrap, Rework and Repair (SRR) and escapes to flight operations and DCMA discrepancies
- Improve manufacturing, assembly, inspection, and test processes to reduce and prevent defects and prevent quality escapes to our customers
- Provide quality engineering and NDT support (interpretation, process approvals, etc.)
- Participate in technical investigations
- Assist with immediate risk containment measures and systemic mistake proof solutions to improve quality, cost, and delivery performance
- Develop and deliver technical training to the inspection and operations teams
- Support the development of productivity initiatives to improve product acceptance methodology. Integrate goals that will align with process quality engineering activities
- High School Diploma
- 3+ years of previous NDT experience
- US citizenship required due to government contracts
- BS in related technology field (Engineering, Manufacturing, etc)
- NDT Level 2 certification in X-Ray or FPI
- An understanding of general quality systems (ie. ASQR-01) in a production environment and hands-on work in aerospace manufacturing operations (or equivalent)
- General familiarity with inspection tooling and techniques
- General familiarity in the use of continuous improvement tools, such as robust root cause analysis and principles of lean manufacturing
- Effective communication skills, forward thinking, problem solving, multi-tasking skills, ability to work in a dynamic environment, self-directed with a strong ability to drive and deliver results
Do you wish you could put your technical expertise to better use? If you are ready for a challenge, then we encourage you to apply. We demand quality in all we do and that is what cultivates our success in the Aerospace Industry.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
Job Number: 01336595
Community / Marketing Title: Quality Engineer, Nondestructive Testing
Location_formattedLocationLong: East Hartford, Connecticut US