Staff Engineer, Software Engineering
Location: Aguadilla, Puerto Rico US
Job Number: 9651
Businesses Pratt & Whitney Job ID 01315172 Date posted 07/02/2019 City Aguadilla State Puerto Rico Country United States
United States of America
PW222: P&W Puerto Rico, Road 110 North Km28.8, San Antonio Industrial Park, Aguadilla, PR 00603 USA
The sky has no limits.
Flight is an instrument of human progress. It not only gets people where they want to go, it carries humanity to places it never thought possible.
At Pratt & Whitney, you will be part of an evolving, globally diverse company thatâ€s moving fast to craft the future of aviation. Customers all over the world depend on our technology and the people behind it. As part of our team youâ€ll help answer todayâ€s challenges in powered flight while crafting and supporting tomorrowâ€s solutions.
Pratt & Whitney, a recognized leading producer of the worldâ€s most powerful jet engines, is looking for dedicated individuals to support our organization. If you aspire to work in a dynamic environment and possess the motivation to convert new ideas into practice, this may be the opportunity youâ€ve been looking for.
Do you feel fulfilled when you help others succeed? Are you fascinated by the way the people learn and grow? Have you considered what it may be like to work at Pratt & Whitney? If so, we want to hear from you. Do you wish you could put your technical expertise to better use? If you are ready for a challenge, then we encourage you to apply. We demand quality in all we do which is what nurtures our success in the Aerospace Industry. We have an exciting new opening for a Staff Engineer, Software Engineer in our Aguadilla Puerto Rico location.
Designs, develops, documents, tests and debugs control and diagnostic systems that contain logical and mathematical solutions. Conducts multidisciplinary research and collaborates with equipment designers in the planning, design, development, and utilization of electronic data processing systems for product and commercial software. Determines end user needs by analyzing system capabilities to resolve problems on program intent, output requirements and input data acquisition. Ensures hardware and software standards are met. Designs and implements build procedures that are used to support hardware and software product development and use. May develop software configuration standards for company-wide use. May train software developers in the use of configuration management tools and the implementation of software quality standards. Includes control modeling (model based design).
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead team in technical aspects of the job: software requirements decomposition, design, programming and integration / test assignments independently.
- Responsible for compliance with software standards and conventions.
- Designs and builds changes, extensions and enhancements to complex application programs.
- Works with data migration, data conversion, data loading, and performance improvement.
- Designs and develops integrations between applications using application programming interfaces.
- Prepares operating instructions and compiles documentation of program development.
- Review test plans and oversees the conducting functional and performance testing.
- Responsible for working with users with investigating operational problems/system requirements.
- Leads effort of solving user inquiries that arise during day-to-day operation and documents system design changes.
- Develop/modify programs based on functional specifications & assist in developing functional specifications where applicable.
- Serve as project or technical lead for relatively complex projects with limited choice of approach.
- Provide engineering judgment for decision making, alternate solutions and corrective actions.
- Perform independently in complex projects or various components of a larger project.
- Perform inspections in multiple types of work and provide feedback.
- Responsible for coaching and providing technical guidance to other technical level.
- Assist supervisors with assessing and improving group technical competencies by preparing training materials and instructions.
- Provide technical expertise in identifying and resolving challenging technical issues.
- Represent the discipline in technical discussions.
OTHER MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Actively participate in group meetings, teleconferences and/or training required.
- Actively participate in initiatives for continuous improvement using ACE tools.
- Actively participate in project management activities.
- Based on business needs, the incumbent may be required to support other duties/functions within the company.
- Bachelorâ€s degree in Computer Electrical, Software Engineering or Computer Science*. *Bachelor in Computer Science needs to include 18 credits hours in mathematics, including differential and integral calculus and applied mathematics and 10 credit hours in natural science including physics is required.
- 7 years of related experience in software engineering
- Experience with either DO-178, DO-254 or software development lifecycle
- US citizenship required due to government contract
- English fluency (verbal and written)
- Good communication and presentation skills in English (verbal and written)
- Experience in analysis, design and development of complex applications for real time embedded systems
- Experience in developing/modify programs based on functional specifications & assist in developing functional specifications where applicable
- Experience in test script development, conducting test planning & unit- tests
- Experience in code review and performance monitoring
- Experience with software development using Ada, C/C++, C#, or Jovial in an embedded real time system environment
- Experience in investigation and understanding new technologies
- Ability to work independently, and as part of a team working projects with aggressive schedules and milestones
- Ability to manage programs or parts of the program including successfully managing small group of engineers under your technical guidance.
- Knowledge of Global Positioning Systems (GPS) and Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS)
- Experience with Linux kernel development, Linux device drivers, or the creation of software applications using Qt
- Experience with Agile software development, Information Assurance, and Software Assurance
- Knowledge of test script development using Python
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
Job Number: 01315172
Community / Marketing Title: Staff Engineer, Software Engineering
Location_formattedLocationLong: Aguadilla, Puerto Rico US