Associate Director - Gear Design Engineering
Location: East Hartford, Connecticut US
Job Number: 9139
Businesses Pratt & Whitney Job ID 01316375 Date posted 05/10/2019 City East Hartford State Connecticut Country United States
United States of America
PW100: East Hartford 400 Main Street, East Hartford, CT, 06118 USA
The sky has no limits.
Flight is an instrument of human progress. It not only gets people where they want to go, it carries humanity to places it never thought possible. At Pratt & Whitney, you will be part of an evolving, globally diverse company that's moving fast to craft the future of aviation. Customers all over the world depend on our technology and the people behind it. As part of our team you'll help answer today's challenges in powered flight while crafting and supporting tomorrow's solutions. Pratt & Whitney, a recognized leading producer of the world's most powerful jet engines, is looking for dedicated individuals to support our organization. If you aspire to work in a dynamic environment and possess the motivation to convert new ideas into practice, this may be the opportunity you've been looking for.
Inclusion Powers Innovation: We unlock our employees' full potential through a versatile and engaging culture that values everybody's opinion, driving innovation. The goal of our diversity strategy is to build a workforce and environment where every employee is valued so innovation and creativity thrive and to ensure that all employees are engaged and empowered.
The Mechanical Systems, Externals and Nacelle (MSEN) organization is the recognized leader in the design, development and support of reliable, elite architecture, providing the best value, shortest cycle-time and the highest quality to meet customer requirements. Within the Mechanical Systems group, we are seeking a motivated, diligent design engineer to join our team.
You will work with inter-disciplinary teams, performing gearbox design and analysis on high-power planetary, countershaft, and epicyclic gear systems. This unique role requires creative design skills to achieve maintainable, low cost systems while meeting structural and functional requirements. Your designs will be high-impact, helping to propel the next generation of gas turbine engines using our Geared Turbofan architecture in both commercial and military programs across Pratt & Whitney's engine range. Seeing designs through from conceptual phases through production, you will also be involved with testing and failure analysis to ensure the lasting quality and reliability of our engines.
- A Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Aerospace engineering is required
- Advanced degrees preferred
- BS in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- 15 years of experience in gears or gearbox analysis and design
- US Citizenship required due to government contracts
- Prior experience with high-power gear systems including planetary, countershaft, helical, and epicyclic gears
- Proficiency in gear design software such as LDP and Calyx
- Knowledge of FEA software and model creation using ANSYS or Nastran
- Manufacturing experience with ground gears, hardened gear steels, bearing design, rolling elements, journals, and lubrication system design
- Supplier management experience
- Demonstrated innovation in prior roles, with the ability to influence direction and thought in engineering teams
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
Job Number: 01316375
Community / Marketing Title: Associate Director - Gear Design Engineering
Location_formattedLocationLong: East Hartford, Connecticut US