Principal Design Engineer - Seals
Location: East Hartford, Connecticut US
Job Number: 9138
Businesses Pratt & Whitney Job ID 01314941 Date posted 05/10/2019 City East Hartford State Connecticut Country United States
United States of America
PW100: East Hartford 400 Main Street, East Hartford, CT, 06118 USA
The sky has no limits.
Flight is an instrument of human progress. It not only gets people where they want to go, it carries humanity to places it never thought possible. At Pratt & Whitney, you will be part of an evolving, globally diverse company that's moving fast to craft the future of aviation. Customers all over the world depend on our technology and the people behind it. As part of our team you'll help answer today's challenges in powered flight while crafting and supporting tomorrow's solutions. Pratt & Whitney, a recognized leading producer of the world's most powerful jet engines, is looking for dedicated individuals to support our organization. If you aspire to work in a dynamic environment and possess the motivation to convert new ideas into practice, this may be the opportunity you've been looking for.
Inclusion Powers Innovation: We unlock our employees' full potential through a versatile and engaging culture that values everybody's opinion, driving innovation. The goal of our diversity strategy is to build a workforce and environment where every employee is valued so innovation and creativity thrive and to ensure that all employees are engaged and empowered.
The Mechanical Systems, Externals and Nacelle (MSEN) organization is the recognized leader in the design, development and support of reliable, elite architecture, providing the best value, shortest cycle-time and the highest quality to meet customer requirements. The Bearings and Seals Analytical Group is seeking an experienced engineer with strong leadership skills and an innovative history to join us on the continuous journey to advancing our technology.
You will design and analyze of all types of axial, segmented, and radial carbon based seals, across all of Pratt & Whitney's commercial and military engine lines. In this role, you will bring vision and initiative to the development of new tools, technology, and process improvement for our gas turbine engines. This role provides the opportunity to influence designs from conceptual phases through production, guiding development on main shaft, gearbox, and other carbon seals.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Team leadership with an emphasis on initiative, ownership, and technical aptitude to drive task execution, proficiency development, process improvement, scheduling, and resource management
- Interaction with supplier, customer, and internal disciplines to perform and manage design, analysis, validation, production, and field support of new and legacy seal related components
- Continuous improvement of engineering processes including development of tools to support new technologies and robust analytical substantiation
- Ability to work and think outside-of-the-box; routinely provide new innovations and improved processes
- Failure mode investigation and analysis using proven root cause and corrective action methods and tools
- Mentoring and training new engineers using best practices related to seal design and analysis
- Presentation of design and analytical results and status to senior leadership
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering is required
- Advanced degrees preferred
- BS in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- 10 years of experience in carbon seal design and analysis
- US Citizenship Required due to government contracts
- An advanced degree in an engineering field
- Experience with carbon-based seals for gas turbine applications
- Proven ability to own projects and drive them to closure, with strong emphasis on leadership and communication skills on technical teams
- Experience with NX (or equivalent CAD software), ANSYS (or equivalent FEA software)
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
Job Number: 01314941
Community / Marketing Title: Principal Design Engineer - Seals
Location_formattedLocationLong: East Hartford, Connecticut US