Structures Engineer, Compression Systems CSE
Location: Middletown, Connecticut US
Job Number: 8168
Businesses Pratt & Whitney Job ID 01293153 Date posted 02/15/2019 City Middletown State Connecticut Country United States
United States of America
PW102: Middletown Aircraft Rd P.O. Box 611, Middletown, CT, 06457 USA The sky has no limits.
Flight is an instrument of human progress. It not only gets people where they want to go, it carries humanity to places it never thought possible.
At Pratt & Whitney, you will be part of an evolving, globally diverse company that's moving fast to craft the future of aviation. Customers all over the world depend on our technology and the people behind it. As part of the team you'll help answer today's challenges in powered flight while crafting and supporting tomorrow's solutions.
Pratt & Whitney, a recognized leading producer of the world's most powerful jet engines, is looking for dedicated individuals to support our organization. If you aspire to work in a dynamic environment and possess the motivation to convert new ideas into practice, this may be the opportunity you've been looking for.
Inclusion Powers Innovation:
We unlock our employees' full potential through a versatile and engaging culture that values everybody's opinion, driving innovation. The goal of our diversity strategy is to build a workforce and environment where every employee is valued, so innovation and creativity thrive and to ensure that all employees are engaged and empowered.
Have you considered what it may be like to join our team and bring your career to Pratt & Whitney?
Pratt & Whitney's Compression Systems Engineering (CSE), designers and analysts of advanced Fans, Low and High Pressure Compressors, is currently seeking an experienced and highly-motivated Structures Engineer to join its team in support of the Commercial Composites Fans, supporting all of our commercial engine programs, including the Next Generation Product Family (NGPF).
You, as a Structures Engineer, will be responsible for:
- Working as part as part of an Integrated Product Team and participate in projects aimed at creating and implementing designs that meet advanced engine-specific requirements.
- Function as Structures Lead for composite and fairing components
- Provide analytical support for preliminary & detailed design, through development, validation, certification, manufacturing and operational service.
- Finite element modeling and analysis; calculation of ply stresses, natural frequencies, transient dynamic response, impact capability, fatigue life, and safety margins; monitoring of structural and engine tests; analysis of test results.
- Apply state-of-the-art finite element based methods to the design of jet engine components and assemblies for composite and metallic rotating and stationary structures.
- Apply nonlinear, explicit dynamics methods to accurately simulate bird strike, blade-off, containment events. Correlate results against rotating rig and full engine tests. Support FAA certification.
- Validate methods against subscale and full-scale static, dynamic and impact tests.
- Cover validation testing (engine and rig) and data-reduction.
- Support of Geared Turbofan product family, advanced engine designs and installed base of engines.
- Develop computer and simulation-based methods and processes that support engineering productivity and throughput.
- Document and present results to management and external customers.
- Coordinate with others to advance technology and improve engineering standard work processes/methods
- Apply ACE (Achieving Competitive Excellence) tools within the Composites Organization.
- You've obtained a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering. Preferred fields of study include Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or Materials Science
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident Status (Green Card Holder) required
- Minimum 2 years of Mechanical or Composite Structures experience within a Manufacturing environment along with a Bachelor's degree - OR - a Master's degree in Engineering and Internship or Co-Op experience
- PHD or Masters Degree in Engineering is preferred
- 3 years of Mechanical or Composite Structures experience within the Aerospace Manufacturing industry
- CAD Software experience (NX, FiberSIM, TeamCenter) preferred
- Finite Element Analysis Experience (such as ANSYS, NASTRAN, Abaqus, LS-DYNA, Hypermesh, PATRAN, ProStar) preferred
- Mechanical properties testing, structural testing
- Knowledge of composite design and analysis technology
- Mechanical property, Non-destructive testing methods for composites
- Hands-on composites manufacturing experience using hand layup/autoclave, compression molding, or RTM techniques.
- Knowledge of advanced textile design and manufacturing
- Expert written and verbal skills with ability communicate in a straightforward manner. Excellent interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Six-Sigma, Continuous Improvement, or Achieving Competitive Excellence (ACE) Associate Certification is strongly preferred along with a proven track record of cost savings and continuous improvement accomplishments
- Executive presence comfortable interacting with senior executive leadership
- You are comfortable working Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- SAP experience preferred
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
Job Number: 01293153
Community / Marketing Title: Structures Engineer, Compression Systems CSE
Location_formattedLocationLong: Middletown, Connecticut US