Location: East Hartford, Connecticut US
Job Number: 7965
Businesses Pratt & Whitney Job ID 01291891 Date posted 02/05/2019 City East Hartford State Connecticut Country United States
United States of America
PW100: East Hartford 400 Main Street, East Hartford, CT, 06118 USA
Do you feel fulfilled when you help others succeed? Are you fascinated by the way the people learn and grow? Have you considered what it may be like to work at Pratt & Whitney? If so, we want to hear from you! We have an excellent opportunity for a talented Design Metallurgist to be based in East Hartford, CT.
Would you like to be part of an evolving, globally diverse company that's moving fast to craft the future of aviation? Customers all over the world depend on our technology and the people behind it. As a part of our team you'll help answer today's challenges in powered flight while crafting and supporting tomorrow's solutions.
As a recognized leading producer of the world's most powerful jet engines, we strive to find dedicated individuals to support our organization. If you aspire to contribute to a dynamic environment and possess the motivation to convert new ideas into practice, this may be the opportunity you've been looking for.
We are seeking a Design Metallurgist for East Hartford, CT. Design Metallurgists approve P&W product definition documents; ensure that design intent is being achieved, and that the documents include technically correct materials and processes requirements. The Design Metallurgist represents MPE as a reviewer during design reviews and also supports manufacturing operations, suppliers, and evaluates non-conforming materials and processes.
- Creative, analytical, self-starter, ambitious, and contribute to a team environment at all levels of organization
- The approval of designs and repairs for choice of proper materials and processing methods
- Provide consultation to design, manufacturing, and analytical groups concerning materials properties and processes and to materials and process specialists concerning design intent
- Serve as the materials chief during Design Reviews.
- Assist suppliers and customers with materials, manufacturing, and repair related issues.
- 10% Travel
To be successful in this position, you should have the following experience:
- BA/BS degree in Metallurgy or Materials Engineering with 7+ years' of experience in Materials Engineering/Metallurgy with a solid understanding of metallurgy fundamentals.
- Additionally, 7+ years' experience in one or more of the following: strong knowledge of materials and processes used in gas turbine engines; understanding of the design and manufacture of gas turbine components and the ability to read and understand engineering drawings and specifications.
- US Citizen due to program requirements
- MA/MS degree in Metallurgy or Materials Engineering with 5+ years' of experience in Materials Engineering / Metallurgy with a solid understanding of metallurgy fundamentals.
- Additionally, 5+ years' experience in one or more of the following: strong knowledge of materials and processes used in gas turbine engines; understanding of the design and manufacture of gas turbine components and the ability to read and understand engineering drawings and specifications.
- An understanding of materials testing and characterization techniques.
- Experience using PanDat, Thermo-Calc, or other thermodynamic software.
- The ability to work in a self-directed team environment.
- MS Office, especially Excel, with statistical data analysis software familiarity.
- Excellent Judgment and professional maturity needed to collaborate with people of diverse engineering disciplines.
- The ability to create positive relationships and craft clear communication, including technical writing.
Our diversity strategy is to build a workforce and environment where every employee is valued so innovation and creativity thrive and to ensure that all employees are engaged and empowered.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
Job Number: 01291891
Community / Marketing Title: Design Metallurgist
Location_formattedLocationLong: East Hartford, Connecticut US