Flight Safety Investigator
Location: East Hartford, Connecticut US
Job Number: 7205
Businesses Pratt & Whitney Job ID 01274523 Date posted 01/02/2019 City East Hartford State Connecticut Country United States
United States of America
PW100: East Hartford 400 Main Street, East Hartford, CT, 06118 USA
The sky has no limits. Flight is an instrument of human progress. It not only gets people where they want to go, it carries humanity to places it never thought possible. At Pratt & Whitney, you'll be part of an evolving, globally diverse company that's moving fast to shape the future of aviation. Customers all over the world depend on our technology and the people behind it. As part of the team at Pratt & Whitney, you'll help answer today's challenges in powered flight while shaping and supporting solutions. As a member of the Military Customer Support & Services (MCSS) Flight Safety team, your day to day responsibilities would primarily focus on F135 engine systems safety including fleet hazard identification and tracking, managing safety investigations, and providing input to safety risk assessments and field risk mitigation plans. Typical deliverables would include field safety event communications, investigation reports, position paper/risk assessment input, and safety related briefings to internal and external customers. While the focus would be on F135, the position requires strong hardware and systems level knowledge of operational military engines (ME) and the ability to work across multiple engine programs within the ME organization. The ideal candidate will have a broad technical background and be comfortable and confident in a diverse team environment multitasking with lead engineers, integrated product teams, Customer Support Engineers (CSE), airframers, and our domestic and foreign military customers/operators. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral & written) are required. In this position, you will be a key safety advocate for P&W Military Engines. Position is required to be based out of PW E. Hartford, CT. As experience develops within the position along with the capability of leading and managing a mishap investigation, occasional domestic or foreign travel may be required as the flight safety representative and investigator for field events and mishaps, airframe/engine system safety conferences, and future safety awareness briefings to maintainers and operators. Leading a mishap investigation often involves last minute travel and off-hours and weekend work away from home, occasionally in austere environments. Trip durations of 1-2 weeks are not uncommon.
Education / Certifications
- BS in Engineering
- Mechanical or Aerospace / Aviation Engineering is preferred
- 7+ years (5+ with advanced degree) experience in engine hardware or systems engineering role such as customer support engineering, design engineering, flight test, or equivalent.
- 7+ years experience needs to include a working familiarity with engine controls, externals, cold and hot section hardware, mechanical systems (pumps, bearings, gearbox), engine operation and performance, and airframe integration.
- US citizenship due to federal contracts
- Ability to obtain and maintain secret security clearance required.
- Broad technical background and be comfortable and confident in a diverse team environment multitasking with lead engineers, integrated product teams, Customer Support Engineers (CSE), airframers, and our domestic and foreign military customers/operators.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral & written)
- Experience in engine troubleshooting, inspections, root cause investigations, fault tree analysis, and risk analysis methods.
- Hands-on mechanical experience and interest in such.
- Direct experience with F-35/F135 test ops and systems
- You have a history of unquestionable integrity, cooperative attitude, and ability to exercise sound judgment.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
Job Number: 01274523
Community / Marketing Title: Flight Safety Investigator
Location_formattedLocationLong: East Hartford, Connecticut US