Machining & Tooling Process Engineer
Location: Columbus, Georgia US
Job Number: 11127
Businesses Pratt & Whitney Job ID 01367475 Date posted 11/08/2019 City Columbus State Georgia Country United States
United States of America
PW103: Columbus GA 8801 Macon Road, PO Box 9903, Columbus, GA, 31908 USA
The sky has no limits.
Flight is an instrument of human progress. It not only gets people where they want to go, it carries humanity to places it never thought possible.
At Pratt & Whitney, you will be part of an evolving, globally diverse company that's moving fast to craft the future of aviation. Customers all over the world depend on our technology and the people behind it. As part of the team you'll help answer today's challenges in powered flight while crafting and supporting tomorrow's solutions.
We unlock our employees' full potential through a versatile and engaging culture that values everybody's opinion, driving innovation. The goal of our diversity strategy is to build a workforce and environment where every employee is valued, so innovation and creativity thrive and to ensure that all employees are engaged and empowered.
Have you considered what it may be like to join our team and bring your career to Pratt & Whitney
Columbus Forge Blades, a recognized leader in producing airfoils for the aerospace propulsion market, is looking for dedicated individuals to support our organization. If you would like to work in a dynamic environment and possess the motivation to incorporate new ideas into practice, this may be the opportunity for you!
- Lead the development, optimization, and sustainment of finish machining of precision and traditionally forged airfoils as well as machine from stock airfoils
- Develop best practices and engineering standard work for Machining and Finishing team and act as SME and mentor to early career team members
- Provide operational engineering support to develop technologies and processes which support the growth curve and cost reduction targets
- Deliver well developed machining cell functionality with sustainable, engineered processes
- Leverage manufacturing and tooling innovations to improve cost, delivery, and quality of aerospace airfoils
- Lead engineering team in research and development activities to support other functional areas regarding technical and or material/metallurgical issues related to quality, operations, and processes
- Assist with problem solving during manufacturing related investigations
- Support operational excellence using statistical analysis for process control and certification
- Lead the ACE journey to continuously improve the quality and exceed customer's expectations
- Drive partnership with Part Family Engineering and Quality Engineering teams through continuous improvement journey
- Demonstrate commitment to the EH&S program by complying with all policies and procedures
- Drive growth within the engineering team to transform Columbus Forge Blades into a world class manufacturing facility
- Create capital plans and specify equipment to meet the growing needs of the manufacturing unit
- Final Grade/Level of position will depend on experience and qualifications.
Education / Certifications
- Associate Degree Required
- Bachelor Degree and Masters Degree preferred. in Engineering, Materials, Manufacturing, or technically related field
- Bachelor's or Associate's degree and 10+ years of experience OR Master's degree and 7+ years of experience in Engineering, Supply Chain or manufacturing
- U.S. Citizenship required due to government contracts
- Demonstrated understanding of advanced CNC programming of blades with advanced technology mill centers.
- Proven experience within traditional machining processes optimizing programming and tool life with a focus on machine health and maintenance.
- Understanding of and hands on experience with super alloy traditional machining and processing of complex 3-D geometries.
- Knowledge of broaching, multi axis and milling, and mill-turn techniques to produce airfoils from super alloy forgings is a plus
- Knowledge of thermal processing of super alloys, robotics, heat treat, conventional and non-conventional machining techniques is a plus
- Experience with modern inspection technologies such as laser scanning, structured light or blue light, as well as traditional metrology & CMM.
- Self-starter able to prioritize multiple priorities with minimal oversight
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills with project management experience is a plus
- Statistical Process Control required DMAIC, Process Certification, UPPAP, Six Sigma preferred
- Ability to work with CAD tools, and create engineering blue prints using ASME Y14.5
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) with experience in Project
- Understanding of Lean Manufacturing principles, experience with Kaizen events or experience with a continuous improvement program (ACE, 6S, etc.)
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
Job Number: 01367475
Community / Marketing Title: Machining & Tooling Process Engineer
Location_formattedLocationLong: Columbus, Georgia US