Polymer Materials Engineer
Location: East Hartford, Connecticut US
Job Number: 10813
Businesses Pratt & Whitney Job ID 01358898 Date posted 10/16/2019 City East Hartford State Connecticut Country United States
United States of America
PW100: East Hartford 400 Main Street, East Hartford, CT, 06118 USA
The sky has no limits.
Flight is an instrument of human progress. It not only gets people where they want to go, it carries humanity to places it never thought possible.
At Pratt & Whitney, you'll be part of an evolving, globally diverse company that's moving fast to shape the future of aviation. Customers all over the world depend on our technology and the people behind it. As part of the team at Pratt & Whitney, you'll help answer today's challenges in powered flight while crafting and supporting tomorrow's solutions.
Inclusion Powers Innovation:
We unlock our employees' full potential through a versatile and engaging culture that values everybody's opinion, driving innovation. The goal of our diversity strategy is to build a workforce and environment where every employee is valued, so innovation and creativity thrive and to ensure that all employees are engaged and empowered.
Pratt & Whitney's Materials & Processes Engineering (MPE) group is seeking a Design Materials Engineer to focus on polymer materials and processes (composites, thermoplastics, thermosets, adhesives, paints, etc.). You will approve critical P&W product definition documents, including Engineering Changes and engineering drawings, and ensure that design intent is being achieved and that the documents include technically accurate materials and processes requirements. You will also represent MPE as a reviewer during design reviews and will also support manufacturing operations, suppliers, and evaluate non-conforming materials and processes.
- Apply scientific principles to innovate, design, develop, and implement solutions related to polymer components.
- Creative, analytical, self-starter, ambitious, and work in a team environment at all levels of organization
- The approval of designs and repairs for choice of proper materials and processing methods
- Provide consultation to design, manufacturing, and analytical groups concerning materials properties and processes and to materials and process specialists concerning design intent
- Assist suppliers and customers with materials, manufacturing, and repair related issues. To be successful in this position, you should have the following experience:
- BA/BS degree in Materials Engineering or Chemical Engineering, Engineering
- 7+ years' experience in Materials Engineering, concentrating on polymer materials or 5+ years with advance degree
- 7+ years' experience of aerospace structural thermoplastics, composite materials, adhesives, and processes, designs, testing, or manufacturing methods and procedures or 5+ years with advance degree
- US Citizen due to program requirements
- MA/MS degree Materials Engineering or Chemical Engineering w/7+ years' experience in Materials Engineering, concentrating on polymer materials.
- Additionally, 5+ years' experience in one or more of the following: strong knowledge of aerospace structural thermoplastics, composite materials, adhesives, and processes, designs, testing, or manufacturing methods and procedures.
- MS Office, especially Excel, with statistical data analysis software familiarity.
- Knowledge of engineering drawings, aerospace material and process specifications, and process quality controls.
- Experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Familiar with environmental regulations, such as REACH.
- Familiar with part and test specimen failure mode and analysis.
- Familiar with chemical and anodic cleaning and processing methods.
- Excellent Judgment and professional maturity needed to collaborate with people of diverse engineering disciplines.
- The ability to build positive relationships and craft clear communication, including technical writing
Our diversity strategy is to build a workforce and environment where every employee is valued so innovation and creativity thrive and to ensure that all employees are engaged and empowered.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
Job Number: 01358898
Community / Marketing Title: Polymer Materials Engineer
Location_formattedLocationLong: East Hartford, Connecticut US