1st Shift Cell Leader
Location: Middletown, Connecticut US
Job Number: 8173
Businesses Pratt & Whitney Job ID 01293171 Date posted 02/15/2019 City Middletown State Connecticut Country United States
United States of America
PW102: Middletown Aircraft Rd P.O. Box 611, Middletown, CT, 06457 USA
The sky has no limits. Flight is an instrument of human progress. It not only gets people where they want to go, it carries humanity to places it never thought possible.
At Pratt & Whitney, you'll be part of an evolving, globally diverse company that's moving fast to shape the future of aviation. Customers all over the world depend on our technology and the people behind it. As part of the team at Pratt & Whitney, you'll help answer today's challenges in powered flight while crafting and supporting tomorrow's solutions.
Pratt & Whitney is a world leader in the design, manufacture and service of aircraft engines, industrial gas turbines and space propulsion systems. The company's 36,000 employees support more than 11,000 customers in 195 countries around the world.
Are you highly motivated and enjoy operating in a dynamic environment?
Do you enjoy the challenges of process improvement and "lean" manufacturing initiatives?
We are seeking a highly motivated, technically talented individual, who has a true desire to lead and coach in a dynamic operations environment to support our Product Delivery Center (PDC) as a 1st Shift Cell Leader to lead production/testing in our Engine Center.
In this role you will lead operators to meet EHS, customer, quality, delivery, productivity, and cost goals in our Engine Center . You will set operational strategies, training plans, performance feedback, production scheduling, project implementation, continuous improvement, and communication with leadership and employees. Success factors are EHS performance, first time yield, schedule achievement, cost reduction, workforce development, and preventative maintenance planning.
You will lead sustained improvements in safety, quality, production, material procurement, and cost reduction through the system's various elements. In conjunction to daily supervisor responsibilities, project management, effective communication and execution with support group members is critical to the department's success.
Additionally, you will master and adopt our ACE Operating System and lean manufacturing vision and thrive in a team environment with high performance expectations. You will also be responsible for supervising a group of hourly bargaining unit employees in a Manufacturing Operations environment.
- Establish work schedules taking into account customer requirements, resource availability and other priorities
- Provide leadership and direction with emphasis on team building through daily toolbox meetings and effective communications
- Develop an efficient team that is responsible for engine test, pack, and shipment and responsive to production requirements and changes
- Delegate effectively to develop personnel and balance workload
- Work dedicatedly to address issues and engage the workforce in achieving cell goals
- Demonstrate a 100% dedication to Quality, Environment Health and Safety (EHS), foreign object debris (FOD) prevention, and continuous improvement initiatives
- Understanding and ability to drive quality and customer satisfaction
- Develop, motivate and coach a production team, establishing standards and expectations for work effort and performance while providing constant feedback
- Perform administrative functions as related to bargaining unit employees including maintaining training, quality and attendance records, handle cell overtime and equitably distribute among employees
- Ensure department equipment is clean, properly maintained, records and labels properly affixed, and uptime optimized while meeting all safety requirements
- Ensure elite safety culture is maintained and respond to all EH&S requirements promptly.
- Utilize Continuous Improvement tools to optimize production, performance, and reduce scrap, rework, and repair.
- Control quality, productivity and process flow to meet customer MRP requirements while ensuring a high level of customer satisfaction and ensure compliance to P&W policies and procedures
- Hold employees accountable while maintaining a key working relationship and ensuring a premier safety culture
- Communicate to peers requirements at supporting process to ensure smooth process flow
- Bachelor's Degree in technical discipline with 2+ years of manufacturing experience or a High School Diploma/ GED with 6 +years of equivalent experience
- 2+ years of operations experience in a shop environment, in manufacturing, operations or other relative industry and working knowledge of shop practices, processes and procedures
- 2+ years of leadership experience
- U.S. citizenship required due to government contracts
- Clear, concise and effective communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience working with all levels of management and in a union environment
- Highly self-directed, quick learner, strong drive and results driven
- Experience with Continuous Improvement principles (lean manufacturing, ACE, QCPC, etc.)
- Consistent track record in team leadership roles
- Computer proficiency in MS Office applications specifically Excel and Powerpoint, as well as SAP
- Strong analytical skills, problem solving & mathematic skills
- Able to drive obligations to closure with precision to benefit the organization and every constituent
- Experience with EH&S principles
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
United Technologies Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age, or any other federally protected class.
Job Number: 01293171
Community / Marketing Title: 1st Shift Cell Leader
Location_formattedLocationLong: Middletown, Connecticut US