Senior Design Engineer, Compression Systems
Location: Middletown, Connecticut US
Job Number: 6707
Businesses Pratt & Whitney Job ID 01265552 Date posted 01/03/2019 City Middletown State Connecticut Country United States
United States of America
PW102: Middletown Aircraft Rd P.O. Box 611, Middletown, CT, 06457 USA The sky has no limits.
Flight is an instrument of human progress. It not only gets people where they want to go, it carries humanity to places it never thought possible.
At Pratt & Whitney, you will be part of an evolving, globally diverse company that's moving fast to craft the future of aviation. Customers all over the world depend on our technology and the people behind it. As part of the team you'll help answer today's challenges in powered flight while crafting and supporting tomorrow's solutions.
Pratt & Whitney, a recognized leading producer of the world's most powerful jet engines, is looking for dedicated individuals to support our organization. If you aspire to work in a dynamic environment and possess the motivation to convert new ideas into practice, this may be the opportunity you've been looking for.
Inclusion Powers Innovation:
We unlock our employees' full potential through a versatile and engaging culture that values everybody's opinion, driving innovation. The goal of our diversity strategy is to build a workforce and environment where every employee is valued, so innovation and creativity thrive and to ensure that all employees are engaged and empowered.
Have you considered what it may be like to join our team and bring your career to Pratt & Whitney?
Pratt & Whitney's Compression Systems Engineering (CSE), designers and analysts of advanced Fans, Low and High Pressure Compressors, is currently seeking an experienced and highly-motivated Senior Design Engineer to join its team in support of the Commercial Composites Fan, supporting all of our commercial engine programs, including the Next Generation Product Family (NGPF).
You, as a senior composite design engineer, will be responsible for:
- Working as part of an Integrated Product Team and participate in projects aimed at creating and implementing designs that meet advanced engine-specific requirements.
- Material selection, determination of laminate architecture, creation of solid models, and design of sub-element components for structural testing; assist in manufacturing process development at suppliers, and ensure the manufacturability of component designs.
- Provide analytical support for preliminary & detailed design, through development, validation, certification, manufacturing and operational service.
- Validate methods against subscale and full-scale static, dynamic and impact tests.
- Support of the Next Generation Product Family, advanced engine designs and installed base of engines.
- Develop computer and simulation-based methods and processes that support engineering productivity and throughput.
- Document and present results to management and external customers.
- Coordinate with others to advance technology and improve engineering standard work processes/methods
- Apply ACE (Achieving Competitive Excellence) tools within the Composites Organization.
Are you up for the challenge?
Do you meet these Basic Qualifications?
- You've obtained a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering. Preferred fields of study include Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or Materials Science
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident Status (Green Card Holder) is required
- Minimum 4 years of Mechanical Design experience within the Aerospace Manufacturing industry
- PHD or Masters Degree in Engineering is preferred
- 5 years of Mechanical Design experience within the Aerospace Manufacturing industry
- CAD Software experience (NX, FiberSIM, TeamCenter preferred)
- Mechanical design experience (bolted joints, hand calculations, etc)
- Knowledge of composite design, and analysis
- Mechanical property, Non-destructive testing methods for composites
- Hands-on composites manufacturing experience using hand layup/autoclave, compression molding, or RTM techniques.
- Knowledge of advanced textile design and manufacturing
- Expert written and verbal skills with ability communicate in a straightforward manner. Excellent interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Six-Sigma, Continuous Improvement, or Achieving Competitive Excellence (ACE) Associate Certification is strongly preferred along with a proven track record of cost savings and continuous improvement accomplishments
- Executive presence comfortable interacting with senior executive leadership
- You are comfortable working Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. SAP supply chain experience preferred
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
Click on this link to read the Policy and Terms
United Technologies Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age, or any other federally protected class.
Job Number: 01265552
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Design Engineer, Compression Systems
Location_formattedLocationLong: Middletown, Connecticut US